In a mood for something savory and something different…a quiche it is…
For the pastry:
Maida: 240 gms
Chilled and cubed unsalted butter: 130 gms
Salt: 1 tsp
Icing sugar or sugar pwd: 1 tbsp
cold water: 1.5 tbsp
For the filling:
Spinach: 200 gms
Cheese: 50 gms ( i used 2 cubes of amul processed cheese)
Eggs: 3 nos
fresh cream: 200 gms
Boiled potato: 1-2 nos
salt and pepper: according to taste
Nutmeg pwd: as per taste
1. Sieve the maida.
2. Add the chilled cubed butter, salt and sugar pwd.
3. Pinch the chilled fat into the maida and then rub the fat (between your palms lightly) into the maida till you reach a consistency similar to bread crumbs.
4. Add the cold water and bring it together into a lump (care to be taken so that the dough is not over kneaded, if it is over kneaded, the pastry tends to become tough and brittle).
5. Place the dough onto a cling film or box and let it rest in the fridge for atleast 30 mins.
6. After 30 mins, flour the platform and roll the dough till it is say 4 – 5 mm. (Alternatively one could also roll the dough between two sheets of butter paper)
7. Once the dough is rolled, carefully lift it and place it onto a pie tin / mold (i have used a 8 inch pie tin with loose bottom).
8. Press the rolled pastry evenly on the edges and sides, trim / cut any excess pastry.
9. Using a fork, prick the base of the pastry.
10. Blind Baking the pastry: Line the pastry with butter paper and fill it with dried beans (moong or chickpeas etc) and bake at 200 degees C for 12-15 mins till the edges are lightly brown (Shown in pic 1).
11. Once it is a little cooled, remove the dried beans and bake for another 5-10 mins till the base of the pastry is also cooked and get a pale colour ( shown in pic 2).
1. Cook / blanch the spinach and chop them finely. (Remove excess water from spinach before preparing the below mix).
2. In a bowl add the eggs, grated cheese, nutmeg pwd, cream, spinach, salt and pepper and mix well.
3. Slice the boiled potatoes thinly and set aside.
III) Bringing it all together:
1. In the pre baked pastry, lay the sliced potato as shown in pic 3.
2. Add the filling on top of the potatoes and bake for about 15-20 mins / till done at 170 degrees C ( the baked quiche should have a slight soft texture and not a completely firm texture).
3. Once it is cooled a little, remove the quiche from the mold, slice and serve. Njoy!!!