Basale soppu (Vine spinach) Raita
One of my favourite greens is Basale soppu or Malabar spinach. Like many greens it is good source of iron. Over and above that, it is also high in Vitamin A & C and also in iron and calcium.
Here is a recipe that my friend Mangalam shared. It has two ingredients which i absolutely love, curd and garlic 🙂
Curd (thick): 1 cup
Basale soppu leaves: 2 cups
Garlic: 2 tsp (peeled and finely chopped)
Coconut: 1/2 cup (grated)
Jeera: 1 tsp
oil: for tempering
Green chillies: according to taste
Salt: according to taste
1. Wash the leaves thoroughly and chop it finely.
2. Cook / blanch the leaves and set aside.
3. Grind coconut, jeera and chillies to a fine paste.
4. In a vessel take oil, add the garlic and saute till it the garlic is cooked and it has a light golden colour.
5. In a serving bowl, mix the cooked leaves, salt, coconut mixture and curd.
6. Add the tempering and mix well.
7. This raita goes well with rice and rotis.