Green Tomatoes Kootu
Our friends Anu and Jaimon have a small farm, where they grow vegetables like brinjal, pumpkin, beans, green tomatoes and more….. such fresh vegetables…i think i could eat them raw :-)….so when i visited them last week, i plucked green tomatoes and brinjal… (never thought i would pluck vegetables in a city 🙂 )
So here goes…. Green tomato kootu with coconut and dhal..
Green Tomatoes (med Size): 6nos
Moon dhal: 3/4th cup
For Ground mixture:
Grated coconut: 1 cup
Jeera: 1 tsp
green chillies: According to taste
raw rice: 1/2 tsp
water for grinding to a paste
Seasonings: Mustard seeds, jeera, channa dal, curry leaves and turmeric powder
Oil: 1 tbsp
Salt: according to taste
1. Pressure cook dhal in a cooker till well done.
2. Dice the tomatoes in med size pieces and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a kadai and 1 tsp each of the seasonings mentioned.
4. Once the mustard has spluttered and the channa dal is light brown in colour,add the diced tomatoes.
5. Add salt and mix the tomatoes nicely in the kadai and let it cook (cook till they are about 90% cooked).
6. Grind the ingredients as mentioned above to a nice paste and add to the kadai.
7. Mash the cooked dhal to a paste and add to the kadai with tomatoes and ground mixture.
8. Cook on low flame for a minute or till the tomatoes are cooked completely.
9. Check the salt and add if required…according to taste.
10. Serve hot with steamed rice..