Khandvi (Arusuvai Friendship Chain)
The Arusuvai Friendship Chain has been inspired by the Amish Friendship Bread starter chain doing the rounds outside of India. This chain is all about sending along a a surprise gift to your friends for them to prepare something tasty with it, share the recipe and pass on the surprise ingredient to other people..
As a gift, Kajal sent across to me a packet of Besan or Gram Flour…there were so many things that i could have made with besan, but i decided to make something which i have never tried before..one of my favourite Gujarati snack..” Khandvi”
Besan: 1 cup
Buttermilk: 3 cups
Ginger-chilli paste: 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
CCorriander leaves (finely chopped): 1 tbsp
Grated coconut: 2 tbsps
Salt according to taste
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
oil: 3 tsp
Green chillies: 2 nos
Asafoetida: a pinch
Curry leaves: a few
1. Mix besan, buttermilk and salt in a bowl and Micro Med for 4 mins.
2. Add turmeric powder, ginger – chilli paste and Micro High for 5 mins.
3. Remove from the microwave and spread immediately on a greased surface in a thin layer ( i used the back of a big plate, greased it and spread the besan mixture on it).
4. When set cut into strips and roll. Arrange the rolls in a serving dish.
5. Place all the ingredients for tempering in a bowl, Micro High for 1.5 mins and pour over the khandvi.
As a part of continuing this chain.. i will be sending across a secret ingredient to Archana