Kuzha Puttu with Kadala Curry…
Kuzha puttu and kadala curry is traditionally had for breakfast in Kerala. The kuzha is a vessel in which puttu is made. The traditional kuzha was made up of two vessels, wherein the bottom portion (puttu kodam / puttu pot) has water in it to create the steam and the upper tall vessel had the puttu mixture (puttu maavu). Now a days the kuzha is available in such a way that it can be placed over a pressure cooker and the kuzha puttu can be made…
Puttu Maavu: 1 Cup ready made chemba (red rice) puttu maavu
Coconut: 1 cup
Salt to taste
Kadala / small brown chickpeas: 2 cups
Coconut: 1 cup
onion: 1 nos finely sliced
Dhania seeds: 2 tsp
jeera: 2 tsp
Red chillies: 3-4 nos or according to taste
Oil: 2 tsp
salt to taste
1. Soak the kadala overnight in water.
2. Cook the soaked kadala with salt and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a kadai and saute coconut, dhania seeds, jeera, onions. red chillies till the whole mixture is brown in colour.
4. Grind the sauteed coconut mixture to a coarse paste and set aside.
5. Heat oil in a kadai and add the kadala and the coconut paste and cook for 10-15 minutes on low flame…
6. For the puttu, take 1 cup of the puttu maave (puttu powder) and add little salt to it and mix.
7. Wet the puttu maavu with water in such a way that the powder is still dry but when you close your fist, the maavu retains the shape of the fist… Now divide the maavu into two equal portions and set aside…
8. Take a pressure cooker, add water to it and heat it, once the water heated close the lid of the pressure cooker…
9. Take the kuzha and layer the bottom of the kuzha with little coconut.
10. Layer one portion of the puttu maavu, then add coconut on top of it..then layer the second portion of the maavu and add one more layer of coconut…
11. Once the steam comes out of the pressure cooked, close the lid of the kuzha and place the kuzha on top of the cooker (place it from where the steam is usually released)…
12. Steam the kuzha on the cooker for atleast 10 mins..
13. For removing the puttu: Remove the kuzha from on top of the cooker. Use the thin metal stick given with the kuza and push the puttu from the back of the vessel…
14. Serve hot with kadala curry