Vazhaipoo Paruppu Usli
Well this flower cum vegetable preperation is a little messy and should be made only when one has some time on hands. Vazhaipoo (Plaintain flower) is nothing but the flower from which we go on to get bananas…This is my entry for JFI-Banana
The flower will be in between layers of red skin… The important thing while making any vazhaipoo preperation is that the flowers should all be removed from in between the layers and the stamen (refered to as ‘kalan’ in Tamil) has to be removed from each and everv poo (flower). This is the most time consuming part of the whole preperation… Now lets look at the ingredients and the method to make Vazhaipoo Paruppu Usli…
Vazhaipoo : 1 nos
Buttermilk for soaking the vazhaipoo: 2-3 cups
Tuvaram Parappu (Toor Dal) : 1 cup
Red Chillies: according to taste
Salt: according to taste
Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
Curry leaves for garnish
Mustard seeds: 2 tsp
1. Remove the flowers from in between the red layers and remove the stamen from all flowers. (A key while removing the stamen is to use gingely oil (nala ennai) coating on your hands and then remove the stamen from each flower. The oil coating makes it easy to remove the kalan)
Have taken a picture of a single vazhaipoo, the stamen (Kalan) and the cone shaped vazhaipoo. Once we start removing the red layers of the poo, the inner layers are white in colour…
2. Finely dice all the flowers and soak them in very thin buttermilk for 30-40 minutes.
3. Meanwhile soak the tuvaram parappu in water for 30 minutes and then grind it coarsely with red chillies and some salt…
4. Steam the ground dhaal paste for 10-12 minutes.
5. Remove the steamed dhaal paste from the steamer and let it cool for some time…
6. In a kadal, heat oil and add mustard seeds and let them crackle…
7. Remove the vazhaipoo from the buttermilk and wash it with water and add it to the kadai.
8. Add turmeric powder and required salt (keeping in mind that salt has also been added in the dhaal paste) and cook it till done….
9. Crumble the dhaal paste with hand and set aside.
10. Once the vazhaipoo is cooked, add the crumbled dhaal and mix well…
11. Add a little sugar, mix well and garnish with curry leaves…