Sunday….what is the first thing that comes to ones mind…for me it is leisure, good food and rich food…This sunday D (my lil sis) decided to make Malai Kofta…a very north indian preperation, rich with cheese, cottage cheese and cream…she put lot of effort and the end product was just awesome…well me, i was in charge of making chappatis….so here we go, the recipe of malai kofta (Stuffed cottage cheese dumplings in a creamy tomato gravy)…
For the kofta: cottage cheese dumplings
Cottage cheese: 100 gms
Cheese cube: 1 nos
Green chillies: depending upon taste
salt: depending upon taste
Corriander leaves: depending upon taste
Oil for frying:
For the potato mixture:
Potatoes: 2 medium sized boiled potatoes
Masalas powder:Turmeric, chilli, dhania, jeera: depending upon taste
Maida: 2 tbsp
Tomato Puree: 100-200 ml
Cream: 100-150 ml
Onions: 1 medium size
ginger garlic paste: 1 tsp
poppy seeds / khuskhus: 1 tbsp
Cashews: around 50 gms
Whole masalas: Badi elaichi : 1 nos, small elaichi : 1 nos, cloves: 2-3, cinamon stick: 1 small piece. (to be ground into a fine powder)
Masalas Powder: 1 tsp: cumin, dhania, chilli
Jeera / cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Oil for cooking and salt upon taste
To make the kofta:
1. Mash the boiled potato and add all the other masala ingredients, salt and the maida and keep aside.
2. To make the cottage cheese dumplings, mash the cottage cheese and cheese nicely.
3. To this mixture add the other ingredients and roll them into small balls.
4. Fill the cottage cheese dumplings inside the mashed potato mixture and make bigger dumplings.
5. Deep fry the stuffed koftas till golden brown and set aside…
For the gravy:
1. Soak the cashew and poppy seeds seperately in water for 1/2 an hour.
2. Drain the water from the poppy seeds and grind it with the onion to a paste.(Add a little water to help in grinding)
3. Grind the cashew into a smooth paste and set aside. (Add little water to help in grinding)
4. Take in a kadai and once the oil is heated, add jeera, once the jeera starts spluttering, add the ginger garlic paste and saute
5. Add the onion mixture and the ground masala to it and saute till the whole mixture is light brown in colour.
6. Add the tomato puree and cook for 5 mins. Add all the masala powder,salt and cook.
7. Add the cashew paste and let it cook till the time that the cashew paste looks cooked.
8. Add water (1 cup)and let it simmer for some time…
9. Add the cream and lots of corriander and bring the whole gravey to a boil.
10.To make the whole preperation…add one tsp of ghee / clarified butter
11. Place the kofta in a serving bowl and add the gravy to it and serve hot with chappatis…