Semia Payasam (Vermicelli Kheer)
This preperation is a kheer that i made for Krishna Jayanthi this year. This is a milk based preperation which consists of Vermicelli (Semia) and Sugar. The amount of milk, vermicelli etc could be varied depending upon interest…
Milk : 1 litre
Vermicilli: 1 handful
Cashew: 5-10 pieces. (Fry the cashew in ghee till brown and set aside)
Ghee / clarified butter: 1-2tsp
Sugar: 10-12 tsp (this could vary depending upon the quality of the sugar)
1. Heat ghee in a kadai, and fry/roast the vermicilli in it till it is brown in colour. (If roasted vermicilli is reasily available then they could be used directly).
2. In another vessel, Boil the milk and let it simmer till the quantity of the milk reduces to 75% of the original quantity…keep stirring the milk so that it does not stick to the bottom of the vessel.
3. Add the roasted vermicilli and let it cook for 5 -7 minutes.
4. After 10 mins, add the sugar and let the whole milk mixture simmer till the milk reduces a bit further.
5. Garnish the payasam with the cashew and serve hot…