Sasve Kai Chitranna (Mustard & Coconut Mixed rice)
Being a foodie, i love to learn and make different preperations made across the country. This particular mixed rice is “Sasve Kai Chitranna” and is a coconut rice variety made in Karnataka… Here ‘Sasve’ means ‘mustard seeds/kadugu’, ‘Kai’ means ‘coconut’ and ‘Chitranna means ‘mixed rice’. So this is a recipe with coconut and mustard seeds as the main ingredients and since it is a chitranna, the time involved in making this is less than 15 minutes…
Rice: Cooked rice: upto 2-3 cups.
Grated coconut: 1.5 cups
Kadugu/Mustard seeds: 2 tsp
Red chilli: 3-4 (according to taste)
peanuts: 15-20 numbers
hing/ asafoetida: 4-5 pinches
Salt: according to taste
Refined oil for frying: 3-4 tsp
1. Cook rice in such a way that the grains are seperats and keep aside.
2. In a food processor mix coconut, hing, mustard and red chillies and grind till a paste is formed. (If required, add a little water while grinding)
3. Take a kadai, heat oil and add peanuts and fry them till they are light brown in colour or till they loose their raw taste.
4. Add the coconut paste mixture and fry thim till the paste is cooked and becomes light brown in colour.
5. Add the rice, salt and mix well and serve hot…
The coconut paste mixture can be also served with dosai or idli. The mustard in the mixture gives it a really good flavour…