Dantin Soppu (Greens with coconut)
Soppu is kannada for greens..any variety of keerai (in tamil) like palak, arekeerai, fenugreek leaves etc. Dantin soppu is a variety of greens which is available in Karnataka. This particular green/keerai has thick stems and has leaves attached to the stems…This particular item goes well with rotis as well as sambhar rice etc as a side accompaniment. Though i have used dantin soppu one could also use fenugreek leaves or arekeerai…
One important thing to be rememberd when the greens are cooked is that they should be thgoroughly washed before cooking. One thing that i have been taught while cooking any greens by mother is that they should always be cooked in an open vessel (so that the fumes coming out while cooking can be released)…My second entry for RCI: Karnataka:
Greens: one bunch (cut the greens finely and wash it till clean)
Grated coconut: 1/2 cup
Onion: 1 nos medium size (finely chopped)
Tomato: 1 nos medium size (Finely chopped, to give a little tangy flavour to the preperation)
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds: 1tsp
Hing/asafotida: acouple of pinches
green chilli: according to taste
salt: according to taste
Refined Oil for frying: 1-2 tsp
Optional: sugar: 1 tsp ( i believe that sugar balances the taste in any preperation)
1. Take oil in a kadai and heat it.
2. Once the oil is heated add all the items for tempering.
3. Once the tempering is done, add the onions .
4. Fry / saute the onions til they are pink/soft and cooked…
5. Add the greens, salt and sugar.
6. Fry them on medium to high flame so that the greens are cooked. Since the greens are cooked at a med-high flame, always keep turning the greens so that they do not get stuck to the vessel.
7. After the greens have reduced to some amount, add the tomato and mix well and continue the cooking…
7. The finished product should be dry.
8. Once the greens are cooked, add the grated coconut and mix nicely.
9. Serve hot with rice/rotis.