This is a variety of vatral Kozambu that i learnt from my mother…usually the vatral kozambu is a type of sambar without the dhaal and is made with tamarind water.. This particular kozambu is made with 12 masala items and hence is even more tasty…
Ingredients:1 tsp of the following masala item:
Urad daal, Toor daal, Channa Daal, methi seeds, jeera, manathakali (will try and get a common name for this), pepper, raw rice.2-3 small sambar onions.Dry red chillies – according to taste, 6-7 kadipatta leaves…
10-15 peeled garlic cloves.
For the kozambu
1 medium lemon sized lump of tamarind
2 tsp Mustard seeds
3-4 tsp gingely oil
1. Soak the tamarind in luke warm water for half an hour and remove the pup juice from it.
2. Roast in little oil all the masala items till they are dark brown in colour (excluding garlic).
3. Saute garlic seperatly and set aside.
4. Grind the masalas from point 2.
5. Take a kadai and heat gingely oil and add the mustard and let it crackle.
6. Add the tamarind juice, add 1 cup of water and let it boil for some time.
7. Once the tamarind water boils and loses the tamarind smell, add the ground masala to this.
8. Add the sauted garlic to this and let it simmer for 10-15 mins on slow flame.
9. Once the garlic is completely cooked, add some 2-3 tsp og gingely oil and boil and switch off the gas.
10. Serve hot with rice and sabzi.