Flat rice aapam & Vegetable Stew
Aapam is a kerala delicacy. Being a working lady, I have slightly modified the way it is prepared so that it suits my time limitation. Gave a surprise to D and was very happy to see smiling faces at the dining table…
Mixed vegetables (cauliflower florets, potato, carrot, peas, beans) : 2 cups
(potato, carrot and beans to be cut in small cubes)
Onion (med size) : 2 Nos
Elaichi pod : 2 nos (small ones)
cloves : 5 nos
Cinamon sticks: 1 nos ( 1.5 inch length)
Green Chillies slit : depending upon taste
salt to taste
Grated coconut : 1 cup ( i am a major coconut fan, so m adding this instead of coconut milk)
Refined oil : 2 tsp
1. Grind coconut and green chillies to a paste and keep aside
2. Take a kadai and heat oil in it.
3. Add the thinly sliced onion and saute till they become pink
4. Once the onions are pink, add all the other veggies and saute for 1 -2 minutes.
5. Add 3 cups of water to this and cook all the veggies. Also add the cinamon stick, cloves and elachi to this and cook on slow flame.
6. Once all the veggies are cooked, add the coconut paste and let it boil once and seitch of the gas. (Alternatively one could also add coconut milk in the preperation)
7. Add few kadi patta leaves (karuvepalai) and sprinkle some drops of coconut oil.
8. Seve hot…
Flat rice aapam
Raw rice : 1 portion
Boiled rice : 1 portion
Grated coconut : 1 potion
Salt to taste
1. Soak the rice (raw and boiled) in water overnight.
2. Grind the rice with coconut, sugar and salt to a smooth paste (take care that the paste does not become too watery).
3. To this smooth paste, add the coconut water which we would have got when we broke open the coconut.
4. Pour this mixture in a bigger vessel and ferment for 5-6 hours.
5. Once fermented mix the batter with a ladle (karandi) and store in the fridge for one day.
Though you could use the batter immediately after it has fermented, i somehow get a better texture for the rice aapams if used after one day.
6. To make the flat aapam, take a tava and heat it. Once the tava is hot add the aapam batter and spread it.
7. Cover the appam with a lid and cook on slow flame till the white batter turns translucent ..
8.Turn the aapam over and cover again with a lid and cook for 30 secs again on slow flame.
9. Once done serve hot with vegetable stew…..